Self-Drafted Off-the-Shoulder Dress aka Bardot Dress!

My inspiration for sewing this dress up was an episode of the show Schitt’s Creek (Yes, it’s pronounced just how you think 😉 ).  Have you heard of it?  It’s a show about a very well-to-do family from Hollywood who lost everything and had to go live in a motel in a town called Schitt’s Creek that they bought as a joke.  The family is extremely well dressed and in one of the latest episodes, the daughter Alexis, was wearing the cutest off-the-shoulder dress that I knew I had to replicate.  I didn’t create mine in the exact fabric as her (although I would have had I found it) instead I just borrowed the cut and added my own design details to it.

I wanted the challenge of self-drafting this garment and one day while I was perusing the internet I came across this tutorial from By Hand London, written by Elisalex De Castro Peake (Thank you!!).  I used this excellent tutorial as a guide for measurements then basted it in muslin.  I ended up making one minor adjustment which was to take in the fullness of the skirt.  It was a little too wide for my body shape so I took it in 1” on the paper pattern which translates to 4” overall.

Processed with VSCO with a5 preset

I sewed this baby up in a light wool blend that I bought at Mood Fabrics.  I was originally looking for a linen fabric in a light tone but I came across this fabric in pastel pink and that was it!  I was ready to buy it right then and there.  I also added a bit of tulle to the inside of the sleeve area of the dress.  This wasn’t a part of my original idea but I saw this tulle in the fabric store and I just knew I had to add it to this dress.  I debated for a while on what to do with it (should it go on the ruffle, below the ruffle, around the ruffle??) but ultimately I think I made the right choice.  Lastly, I used bias binding on the armhole openings.  It took a bit more time but it completes the dress so well and I love little details like this.  Regarding the ruffle and skirt hem, I did a scant ¼”.  I also used pinking shears to cut the fabric out for more stability.  I am in love with this dress!! 🙂

Processed with VSCO with a5 preset

Thanks for stopping by!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s