Wardrobe Architect – Week 7: Exploring Solids and Prints
Elements of print
- Prints vs. solids: What percentage of your wardrobe do you actually want to be comprised of prints? Some people wear prints all the time, for others they’re more of an accent.
- Scale: Do you tend to prefer large scale prints, small scale, or a mixture of both?
- I tend to prefer small scale prints. Sometimes I will go for large scale if there is a lot of empty space in the background or the cut of the piece interests me.
- Contrast: Do the prints you like use lots of contrasting, bold colors? Or are they more tonal and subdued?
- The majority are tonal and subdued but I would say every once in awhile I am in the mood for something bold so when a piece of clothing catches my eye I am happy to incorporate it into my wardrobe.
- Naturalism: Do you feel drawn to flowing, organic, or naturalistic prints? Or are strong, abstract, geometric designs your thing? Or are there versions of both that you love?
- I am drawn to both whether it be bold stripes or a flowing subdued floral design.
- Mood: There are hundreds of styles of prints. Are there prints you choose that relate to your 5 style words?
- I feel like they do. 🙂
- Examine your favorite clothing. Pick out the 10-20 most worn items in your wardrobe. What percentage of them are printed?
- About 33% are printed
- Pick your prints. Write down your most beloved styles of prints. Be sure to look through your closet and your fabric stash.
- Checks, plaid, stripes, subtle dots, floral, bold stripes, vintage abstract or french novelty prints. Here are pictures of some of my favorite styles of print from my closet.
Wardrobe Architect – Week 8: Hair, Makeup & Beauty
- What hair style has been most flattering and comfortable for you? How did it make you feel about yourself? Did it invoke any of the words you came up with in our core style exercise?
- I really like a short lob hairstyle. It was something that I decided to do about 2 years ago but since I only get my haircut once a year it gets long pretty quickly. It looks nice long but eventually it becomes bottom heavy and hard to work with. I think it invokes the modern, clean and classic words from the core style exercise. That is probably why I like that haircut so much. 🙂
- How much makeup are you comfortable with? It could be no makeup, or a full face with contouring. Or it could vary day to day.
- I like sheer foundation with a hint of blush and some mascara. I tend to go for dewier looks when possible as well. When I go out with my husband or to an event I like to do eye makeup. I use the Lorac Pro eye shadow palette. I don’t wear lipstick. I hate how it gets everywhere and the constant reapplication. I usually go for lip balm or a tinted gloss.
- How does your makeup and hair reflect your personal style? What do you feel they say about you and your aesthetics?
- I would say that it reflects my style in that it is very simple and clean which is what I like. I’m not sure what this really says about me except maybe that I like a classic style.
- How much product do you want to own? Do you like collecting products, or would you rather just have a few essentials? How much bathroom clutter are you ok with?
- I’m a few essentials kinda gal. I also hate clutter so my vanity has to be clear.
- What requirements do you have for the products you buy? Do you stick with all natural products? Are there ingredients you avoid?
- I just like high quality products that are hypo-allergenic.
- What colors feel best near your face? How do they relate to the color palette you created?
- Muted tones – beige, tan, pinks, metallic rose and dark brown. I like to use gray, black, deep purple, and deep greens to line my eyes.
- What colors never look right near your face? What colors have you tried and given up on before?
- Probably colors that are too bold unless I use them as an accent.
- How much time do you realistically want to spend getting ready in the morning?
- 10 minutes
- What types of scents do you gravitate towards? Do you wear perfume? Other scented products? What do you feel the scents you like communicate about your personality?
- I like very very light scents. Typically, I do not buy perfume though. I always seem to get a headache when I have perfume on especially when I enter an elevator or am in a car.
- After going through the questions above, add 3-5 images to your style board that reflect your own beauty signatures, or ones you’d like to incorporate.
Here are a few picks from my Pinterest page: